State Parks of San Luis Obipso Coast  
 
California State Parks of the San Luis Obispo North Coast
Cayucos State Beach
Estero Bluffs
Harmony Headlands
Limekiln
Hearst San Simeon SP
WR Hearst State Beach
Hearst Castle
North Coast Access Plan
California State Parks of the San Luis Obispo South Coast
Los Osos Oaks
Montaña De Oro
Natural History Museum
Morro Bay State Park
Morro Strand State Beach
Morro Rock Preserve
Oceano Dunes
Pismo State Beach
General Park Info
Things To Do
Reservations and Fees
Press Releases
Price Chart
Contact Us
Filming In State Parks

View Web Camera


For information about all of California's State Parks visit Parks.Ca.Gov



Home Things to do Nature K i d s ! General Info  
The park information center, which is open weekends throughout the year and daily during summer months, offers protection from the cool coastal breeze that blows nearly constantly off the Pacific. Docents at the center can answer questions about park history and wildlife. Park rangers also offer educational nature talks throughout the summer months.

Spooner's Ranch House
Twenty-seven historic features were recorded during a 1977 archeological survey. Most of these are closely associated with the long history of the Spooner Ranch, and most have been judged not to be historically significant.

The primary Euro-American historic resource at Montana de Oro State Park is the structural evidence of occupation by the Alden B. Spooner family. His agricultural operation was known as the El Pecho Ranch, named for the earlier Mexican land grant title for the area. The 10-room ranch house began as a three-room cabin built in 1892. Over the next 20 years, additional rooms were built. The fireplace was added in the late 1940s by O.C. Field, owner between 1942 and 1954. The house is all that is left of the Spooner period of the ranch's history and today is used as a visitor center. Associated with the house are the remnants of several agricultural structures, including water tanks, sheds, and barns, and a 1910 milkhouse.

West of the ranch complex, on the south bluff of Spooner Cove, are the historic remains of a warehouse (concrete foundation), a tunnel, and a wharf. These are the remains of Spooner's Landing. In the field south of the cove is a grove of eucalyptus trees, believed to be the last site of the Pecho School. The school is associated with the Japanese tenant farmers who cultivated the terraces before World War II.

A second historic residential site exists directly north of the Spooner ranch. All the structures have been removed; exotic vegetation marks the area. This residence was part of the Spooner ranch, but of a later origin.

At the eastern end of the park, on Islay Creek, is a wood-framed barn that was associated with the Spooner family. It appears to have been built in the 1920s; it has some historic value, along with esthetic and potential recreation values.

Brochure
Camping
Nature Walks/Wildlife
Coastline &
Beaches
Visitors Center
Trails and Hiking
Mountain Biking
Coast Mounted
Assistance
Native Plants
Montaña de Oro Home

Campground Map
Environmental Camping
Hiking Trails
Horse Trail Camps
Driving Directions

View Virtual Tour

Low
Medium
High

To begin viewing simply click on the desired bandwidth.

Kids!