Poker Ride Registration Forms
Coast Mounted Assistance is hosting its Annual Poker Ride at Montana de Oro State Park on Sunday, October 13th, 2013 including a BBQ lunch after the ride. For more information on the event and to obtain registration forms, please use the above link.
The Coast Mounted Assistance (CMA) volunteers.
The CMA was established in 1973 by a group of local San Luis Obispo County equestrians who originally assisted State Park employees to map and construct the trails system within Montana De Oro State Park. Today, this volunteer organization is part of the California State Parks Volunteers in Parks Program (VIPP.)
CMA volunteers are easy to spot along the trails within the Park, because of their gold shirts and jackets, and gold trimmed/blue saddle pads.
The purpose of the CMA organization is outlined in its charter as follows:
(1) Assist park visitors by answering any questions they may have. This is an especially valuable service since there is no kiosk or information booth at the entrance to Montana De Oro State Park.
(2) Patrol the beaches and trails within the park boundaries.
(3) Report any unusual situations and alert Park Rangers to violations of park rules and regulations.
(4) Gather information on trail conditions and report any changes to flora and fauna.
(5) Maintain and/or construct trails as approved by the California Department of Parks and Recreation.
(6) Assist in the improvement and maintenance of the Horse Camp facilities at Montana De Oro State Park.
The CMA consists of approximately 55 local county horse owner/volunteers. Members must be approved by the California State Parks Volunteers in Parks Program (VIPP), be at least 18 years of age, have their own seasoned trail horse, transportation to and from the park, and be able to demonstrate their riding ability during a certification ride with a Park Ranger.
Montana De Oro State Park consists of approximately 8,500 acres and has over 50 miles of trails which the CMA patrols on a regular basis.
The CMA meets at the Visitors' Center above Spooners Cove the first Sunday of every month at 3:00 P.M. during the winter season, and 4:00 P.M. during the summer season. Persons interested in more information on the Coast Mounted Assistance can call David at: (805) 528-7602.