In 1953 the Hearst Corporation donated the area comprising the William Randolph Hearst Memorial Beach to San Luis Obispo County in memory of William Randolph Hearst.
Governor Goodwin Knight dedicated the park as Hearst Memorial County Park on June 14, 1953. The county operated the park as a campground with twenty trailer hookups and additional campsites able to accommodate seventy-five families. A 495-foot pier was completed in October 1957. The pier was extended to 795 feet in length by January 1969. In 1970 the Department of Parks and Recreation transferred ownership of the property and the pier to the State of California for operation by the Department of Parks and Recreation to complement the operation of the adjacent Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument. In 2007 this park became part of Hearst San Simeon State Park.
Coastal Discovery Center at San Simeon Bay
Visit the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA's) Coastal Discovery Center at San Simeon Bay located at William Randolph Hearst Memorial Beach. The Coastal Discovery Center is a joint venture between the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and California State Parks. Located on beautiful San Simeon Bay, the Coastal Discovery Center celebrates the connection between land and sea. The Center offers interactive exhibits and education programs which highlight the cultural and natural history of Old San Simeon, California State Parks and the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
Fishing licenses are not required when fishing from the pier but limits are enforced.
Hours of Operation
W.R. Hearst Memorial Beach is open until sunset and there is no camping available at this facility. Camping is available a few miles south in Hearst San Simeon State Park. The Memorial Beach is located seven miles north of Cambria on Highway 1 directly opposite the Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument (Hearst Castle's) entrance.
For more information call (805) 927-2020.